Finding employment can be one of the most frustrating experiences, but with a good plan, and a lot of perseverance, you’ll be making money in no time. It’s a really large topic to cover in depth, so you’ll only get an overview here, but hopefully you’ll find this to be a good starting point in your search for a fulfilling and exciting career.
Employment & Careers
Find a Job
I’ve had so many different jobs I can barely remember them all. Since I’ve been in the working world for some time now, I believe I can speak to a number of challenges that arise when considering employment:
- I know that I prefer to keep a job I don’t mind doing versus having to find a new job all the time. Finding a job is hard work and you don’t get paid to do it. I’d rather get paid for my hard work.
- I know that you shouldn’t quit a job before you have a new one, because those bills keep coming, and before you know it you’re in trouble.
- I know that I’m only just beginning to understand what I truly want to do as a profession, and that it has taken me a long time to figure this out. Don’t stress over deciding on a career right out of high school. Explore different things, to see what excites you and is a good fit for your personality.
- I know that having good references, working hard, and putting in your time, no matter what career you choose, is the only way you’re going to “climb the ladder to the top.” The only true road to success is hard work and consistency. There really aren’t any shortcuts.
- I know that there is truth in the saying “choose to work in a field you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.” Your job is such a big part of your life; if you pick something you like/love to do, your job won’t seem so much like “work."
These are some of the things I’ve learned, and I’m telling you these because I heard the same things from adults when I was your age, and I didn’t take them to heart. Hopefully you’ll be wiser than I was.
Here are some resources to help you find that job:
Consider an Apprenticeship
An apprenticeship allows you to work and gain skills at the same time.Read more