Financial Aid

Piggy bank with college cap

Get Help Paying for Education

If you apply for as much aid as possible, you’ll end up paying less of your own money for your education, and can even complete your education without having to take out any student loans!

There are many grants and scholarships you can qualify for. Many are specific for those who have experienced foster care, and Colorado recently passed a bill that covers any gaps in the cost of school that aren't covered by financial aid. 

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

This application asks you to enter information about your financial situation. It determines if you’re eligible for federal loans, Pell grants, and work-study. Also, the federal government, your state, and your specific college might all have different deadline dates. On the FAFSA website there is a deadline search tool where you can find out more specifically what the specific deadlines are.

  • When you’re filling it out, make sure you are identified as applying as an independent adult. On the dependency determination page, there is a question that states: “At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a dependent or ward of the court?” Mark “yes,” then continue to follow the prompts. This will determine your filing status as independent.
  • There will also be a question that asks: “Do you want to answer questions about your parents?” Make sure to mark ‘No.’ Parental info is not required in order for you to receive financial aid because you are filing as an independent, not a dependent. You will not be penalized for marking ‘no,’ and by saying ‘yes’ you will be required to fill out unnecessary paperwork.
  • When setting up your PIN, pick your own PIN. This will save you time, as you can apply without waiting for a response.
  • Make sure you get a Ward of the State letter (Confimation of Foster Care Dependency Form) from your caseworker or Chafee worker, as they will need it to verify your independent adult status. You can also download a copy of the required form below, and take it, or mail it, to the county court where you were in foster care and they will complete it for you.
  • Important links:

Get more info

College Opportunity Fund (COF)

The COF was created by the Colorado Legislature and offers a stipend to eligible undergraduate students.  You have to be enrolled in a participating Colorado college or university in order to receive the stipend.

Get more info

Educational Training Voucher (ETV)

The Colorado Educational and Training Voucher Program (ETV) is a federally-funded, state-administered program designed to help youth who were in foster care. Students may receive up to $5,000 a year for qualified school-related expenses. Funding is limited, and available on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible students. Applicants must complete the ETV application, which includes documentation each semester that is sent directly from the school to ETV confirming enrollment, the cost of attendance (COA), and unmet needs. Applications can be submitted after July 1 for the following academic year (e.g. you apply in July 2023 for funding for the 2023 fall semester). Apply as soon as possible after July 1 to minimize any delays in funding for the fall semester.

Get More Info

Scholarships and Grants

There is a TON of money out there to help you attend school, pay for books, and help pay for whatever other expenses you have that are related to going to school, including living expenses. Many scholarships don’t get enough qualified applicants, so the money isn’t always distributed. Don’t let that money sit on the table -- go for it!

Here are a few more website and resources to help you in your search: