Forward Steps Guardian Scholar Scholarship deadline extended to 6/16/17
What does the scholarship provide?
Our scholarship provides assistance of up to $6,000 per academic year to cover any unmet financial need while attending college. Funds are disbursed during the Fall and Spring semesters based on academic performance and Forward Steps’ program participation.
In addition to the financial assistance, scholars will receive one-on-one mentoring and support throughout their college experience.
Who is eligible for the scholarship?
- Forward Steps’ Guardian Scholars Scholarship is specific to youth (age 17-21) who already have or will emancipate from foster care in Colorado
- Applicants must reside in Colorado and plan to attend (or are currently attending) Community College of Denver, Front Range Community College (Westminster and Boulder Campuses), or the University of Colorado Denver
- Scholars must have earned a high school diploma or passed the GED before beginning their first semester of college
- First time applicants must apply before their 22nd birthday
- Applicants must meet federal financial aid requirements and have unmet need as determined by the FAFSA
What are the requirements to maintain eligibility for the scholarship?
- Maintain good standing as defined by your school
- Enroll in and maintain at least 12 credit hours per semester
- Achieve and maintain at least a 2.0 GPA per semester
- Attend Forward Steps’ monthly workshops
- Meet with Forward Steps’ Student Development Manager (frequency depends on the needs of specific scholar)
- Provide Forward Steps’ staff with semester grades (and mid-semester progress updates, if requested)
- Allow Forward Steps’ staff to monitor academic performance and college records (such as financial aid documentation) to verify continued eligibility
- Apply annually for scholarship renewal
If you are interested in applying, please complete the application, and e-mail or mail it with the required supporting documents by the June 16, 2017 priority deadline to be considered for the Fall, 2017 semester. Applicants unable to meet the priority deadline will be placed on a waitlist for the following semester pending available funding.
If you have questions or need clarification, please contact us: 720.276.7778 or email email@example.com.
(information copied directly from forwardsteps.org)
Apply for Financial Aid by Completing the FAFSA, New Date to Apply Starts 10/1/16 for 2017-18 School Year
The date to start applying for financial aid has changed to October 1st. It is recommended that you apply as soon as possible to guarantee your funding. You will use your tax information from 2015 to complete the application.
Here’s a link to a walk-through guide with helpful information.
Here’s a link to the application.
Here’s a link to more information about financial aid you may be eligible for.
Interested in making the Denver Chafee program what you really want and need?
We are holding youth panel meetings once per month to gather your input about the Chafee program; how we can improve it, and what you really want out of it. We are also trying to develop a system where older, experienced youth and young adults can partner with other youth to give them support and advice about transitioning into adulthood. There may also be opportunities to speak with other groups (like the Colorado Department of Human Services) about foster care and how it can be improved.
If you have any interest in being part of improving foster care and Chafee services, engaging your community to improve it, or just being part of the Denver Chafee “community” this is a great opportunity for you!!! It will also give you a chance to develop your interpersonal and leadership skills, and would look great on applications and resumes. We are trying to create a fun and rewarding experience for those involved, while empowering you to be a voice for youth and your community.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please speak with your Chafee worker or send an email to Colin firstname.lastname@example.org