You need a social security card as one of your vital documents. It’s necessary for employment and helps you get other vital documents you’ll need as an adult. In order to get a replacement card you will need to:
1. Fill out the application form
Click on the link below for a printable application form for obtaining a Social Security card:
2. Find the nearest Social Security office
Click on the hyperlink for information related to the nearest local office: Local Office Search .
3. Make sure you have an acceptable form of identification. They can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:
- U.S. driver’s license;
- State-issued nondriver identification card; or
- U.S. passport.
If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, they will ask to see other documents, including:
- Employee ID card;
- School ID card;
- Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
- U.S. military ID card.
4. Take your application and acceptable identification to the nearest office and apply for your card.
For more info, click here to go to the Social Security website, which will give you more information on how to replace a Social Security Card.